If rapid determination of the soil’s structural properties is relevant, for example when planning the construction of roads and railways, forming pavements from bulk materials, then dynamic probing is a very good solution. This method is also considered to be one of the simplest research methods in the field of geotechnics. Trust in our team when dynamic probing is required.
Dynamic probing by drilling a cone into the ground that is of a fairly simple design and can be small and compact. The main advantages of this device are a high level of mobility and good adaptation to hard-to-reach places and the mechanical properties of soil lying on the surface need to be studied.
Dynamic cone penetrometer (DCP) (dynamic probing) tests are also very often chosen when it is necessary to examine deep soil layers that are overlapped with strong soil layers. In order to get the maximum benefit from geological surveys, the data obtained during dynamic probing are best compared and correlated with the results of static probing or other field and laboratory tests.
What is the principle of dynamic probing? A probe with a nozzle is used. Above the nozzle, a specially-weighted hammer is launched from a certain height. The probe can be drilled into the ground either manually or automatically. The number of strokes of the whip and the distance over which the hammered probe penetrates the ground are recorded. With these two aspects, the conical strength (resistance to penetration) and the density of the indirectly studied soil layer are determined. Therefore, dynamic probing is probably the best option when a higher thickness layer needs to quickly determine the compaction properties of the studied soil.
The depth of dynamic probing can be up to 30 meters or more, and if probing in a borehole, a much larger depth is possible, but it also depends very much on the strength of the ground being tested. According to the standard ISO 22476-2: 2012 in force in the Republic of Lithuania, the test is terminated in the face of extremely high ground strength (usually 100-120 strokes for a 10cm interval).
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF DYNAMIC PROBING?
- the biggest advantage is its mobility and simple operation, so the dynamic probing equipment is perfect where it would be difficult or impossible to work with other equipment;
- one test can determine the mechanical properties of the soil both at the surface and deeper in, which is not ensured by other field testing methods;
- dynamic probing equipment is an excellent solution even when research is needed where the surface is significantly sloping, which would not be possible with equipment from alternative methods;
- you can choose hammers of different weights - it depends on the strength of the soil tested.
Although it is recommended to apply the results of dynamic probing together with other geological surveys (at least drilling), through dynamic probing it is possible to distinguish geological layers: their boundaries, thickness; assess soil heterogeneity based on widths and depths; to determine the depth of rocks, boulders or very strong soil; to estimate the physical and mechanical properties of the soil; to determine the compaction of technogenic (poured or washed) soils.
WHY IS OUR DYNAMIC PROBING SERVICE A GREAT CHOICE FOR YOU?
- We are innovative and use the latest technology, so we offer the best solution for each of our clients.
- We set ourselves high targets, constantly improve, deepen our knowledge and acquire new skills and strive for optimal results.
- The client’s needs are our top priority.
- The dynamic probing service is provided using advanced, state-of-the-art equipment that allows us to obtain accurate data, speed up the work and ensure maximum service quality.
- We provide dynamic probing and other services throughout Lithuania, as well as in neighboring countries.
- We are trusted by state and municipal institutions, construction and transport infrastructure companies, design and architecture companies, various development companies, agricultural companies and private individuals, and others.
OTHER SERVICES PROVIDED BY GEO ENGINEERING:
- Soil drilling. Allows accurate determination and analysis of the soil, its physical and mechanical properties, boundaries of layers, sampling for laboratory tests, etc.
- Static probing. Allows us to study and evaluate even the thinnest soil layers and sublayers, to identify soil strength properties, to assess how groundwater migrates, and so on.
- Soil laboratory tests. Allows us to study and evaluate the composition of the soil, its physical and mechanical properties, strength and predict possible deformations. This is a test that will greatly help in the design of transport infrastructure and multi-purpose buildings.
- Soil compaction control. Soil quality and strength are a guarantee of the durability and quality of every building, road, railway and other infrastructure. Thus, this method is indispensable when it comes to assessing the degree of soil compaction.
- Static and dynamic plate tests. The service is relevant if the construction of buildings is planned, as well as the installation of roads, railways and other infrastructure. Tests with static and dynamic plates allow us to evaluate possible soil deformations due to applied loads and the quality of soil compaction.
Excavation and description of pits. The service is relevant if there is a need to study the composition and quality of the foundations of an already constructed building and the soil underneath it, or to start new construction near the old building.